Monday, July 26, 2010

Doing the "impossible"

We all have aspirations. Big or small, at some point they may seem impossible to accomplish, leaving us feeling un-motivated. Some days seem more difficult to manage than others, whether we have things or people that get in our way - or if we do a pretty good job all of "getting in our own way".

One thing that I can say from experience that helps me to get around my lack of motivation, is remembering where my aspirations and goals come from to begin with: What is my "why" in this situation? Establishing your "why" is important. Although getting the things done that are necessary to achieving our goal can seem mundane, remembering your passion for what you want to do, regardless of how impossible attaining the task seems is all part of the process.

Walt Disney had a talent fostered from a young age. A talent for drawing. This ability of his became a passion throughout his life, a driving force. During his life's journey, he endured setbacks and financial woes that changed the course of where he was going - or how he was going to get there. I imagine that he felt at times that his aspirations were quite lofty, even out of reach. The things that he did accomplish were grand, and best of all, many generations have been able to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

As Disney said: "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Think about that. When you've accomplished something difficult in the past, how did you feel during and afterward? Did your emotions change during the process?

What task or adventure are you going to embark on this Monday, that seems "impossible"? How will you approach it, so that it will be easier to manage? What tools will you employ to keep yourself motivated? Are you going to find joy and fun along the journey?



Lorrie Shaw is a professional pet sitter, regular pets contributor to annarbor.com and pet blogger in Dexter Twp, MI. She participates in Motivated Mondays along with writer, speaker, mountain bike rider and author of Backroads & Byways Of Arizona, Jackie Dishner. #MotivatedMondays is a culmination of inspirational notes, blogs and tips to help motivate and get other ready for each week after the weekend lull - or anytime.








5 comments:

  1. I love getting things done, but I don't always love doing them! Thanks for reminding me of what I am doing it all for -- my kids!
    http://mbcoudal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of establishing the "why." Why am I doing this? Why am I here. Is what I'm doing today going to help me meet my goals? These are great questions to ask yourself. Establishing a plan to do that on Monday of every week could wind up to be very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed the article. As you go through life you need to keep reminding yourself what your purpose is. It does change with time and circumstance but it is the way to keep yourself on track. Life holds many crossroads and figuring out your purpose helps you keep going.Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB: Not enjoying getting things done; I hear you! Having kids as driving force - I can only imagine. Right now, my pets, my partner and my desire to transition out of one business and into another completely is my why. To whittle it down more, 1.) my pets are all getting older and need me home home more. 2.) Clients from my first biz are getting on in years and not doing well. I needed to make a choice to transition full time into my second business, so I did - and it ended up being bigger and better than I thought possible. So many more opportunities opened up - including writing, so all of that in itself drives me to strive even more - and enjoy the ride. 3.) I'm getting older, too. In ten more years, do I want say that I do what I like - or what I love?

    It's been an amazing ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie and Barbygirl:

    Oh, the why. Big whys, little whys, the whys-within-the-whys... they do fluctuate as our priorities change, don't they? Looking presently, looking ahead, so important to figuring out where to put your attention. Looking back is important, too. If we don't at least remember to glance back once in awhile - not cling to the past, mind you, but just glance - we're destined to make the same mistakes over and maybe get stuck and un-motivated. Moving ahead and having the opportunity to grow, expand and even make new unintentional mistakes is too important. Allowing room for a re-prioritzation of what needs attention in our lives is vital.

    ReplyDelete